Proctorio is a secure, online test taking solution that enables you to ensure academic integrity for your exams and quizzes from within Canvas. It is fully automated, scalable and integrated into Canvas.
Proctorio is available to all faculty who wish to enable online proctoring for quizzes and exams administered through Canvas. With its machine learning and advanced facial detection technology, Proctorio incorporates a broad range of features, such as identity verification, test monitoring, and others designed to support academic integrity.
Given that Proctorio has a wide range of options, CNDLS recommends that faculty arrange a consultation by emailing email@example.com to discuss Proctorio’s affordances for your specific needs.
When deciding to set up a Proctorio-enabled exam, please consider the following:
- Students need access to a computer (Windows or Mac), a webcam, and adequate Internet service. Proctorio does not work on tablet computers or smartphones. We recommend you survey students before implementing Proctorio to determine if they have the required hardware setup and Internet access. If you run into problems, see this UIS page on internet connectivity issues.
- Proctorio works in the Chrome browser only (for both instructors and students).
- In many cases, it may make more sense to consider alternative assessment ideas rather than use proctoring software. For essay, short answer, take home, and open book/Internet exams, a Canvas online assignment may suffice if proctoring is not needed.
Proctorio is an online proctoring tool that works as a monitoring tool for your Canvas quizzes. Follow these steps to get started:
Faculty Support and Additional Resources
You can contact Proctorio Support via live chat from within Canvas 24/7 after you enable Proctorio in your course using the Chrome extension you installed. You can also email Proctorio support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For step-by-step instructions, visit Proctorio’s Canvas PDF and Training Videos which include:
- How to enable Proctorio on an exam in Canvas
- Proctorio exam settings overview
- How to access the Proctorio Gradebook in Canvas
- Proctorio Gradebook Tour
- See how Proctorio works in Canvas: How Proctorio Works on Canvas and a preview of what students will see
Student Support and Resources
24/7 support is available for students by visiting Proctorio Support.
See also Proctorio Best Practices for Students (PDF).
To use Proctorio students are required to:
- Use a computer with a functioning webcam and microphone (no iPads, kindles, or mobile devices)
- Have a reliable internet connection
- Use Google Chrome browser
- Install the Proctorio extension to the Google Chrome browser
- Use a quiet private location
- Have a GU photo ID ready to show (if instructor requires)
Certain exam settings work best for certain use cases. Visit Recommended Settings for Popular Exam Types to review different exam settings.
NOTE: In order to access the links below be sure to be logged into your Proctorio enabled Canvas course first.
- To allow students to write on paper during the exam, see Recommended Settings for Open Note (physical notes)
- To allow students to use the Internet or certain web pages during the exam, see Recomended Settings – Open Note (internet)
- To allow students to use another software (e.g. Excel) during the exam, see Recommended Settings – External Applications
CNDLS Office Hours
CNDLS provides virtual office hours for support with tools and tips for teaching online.
Hours of operation: Monday – Friday between 9 am and 5 pm. After hours, reach us at email@example.com.
Tip of the Week
Looking to create opportunities for students to learn together outside class time? Consider creating a Canvas discussion board for students to self-organize into study groups, and check out these ideas for building community in virtual learning environments.
Visit the CNDLS calendar to learn about upcoming programs and workshops.